Novice

*** Save Data Not Compatible/lost

[ Edited ]

Every time i boot up the game or quit the game it says my save data is not compatible with the latest shadow of war update and if I delete the update my save data will be lost.

Anyone else experience this? BTW i am on XBOX one.

[Modedit: added to tracking sticky, edited title]

Novice

Re: Save Data Not Compatible?

Yep, same thing here (also on Xbox One). No idea why though. Very confusing & annoying. I tried starting a new game & still get the same exact message every time I quit. I'm wondering which "update" is it talking about when it says "save data incompatible with previous updates"? The only updates I've installed have been the normal first game install updates (I did however also install the "pre-order bonus update" & the "war chest & season pass updates"; though not sure if those are even technically considered "updates" or not). And why would my save data be incompatible with any updates to begin with? It doesn't make sense & worries me that somehow I'm going to lose my save data. Anybody out there know what's going on with this & how to stop seeing this message?
Novice

I submitted a ticket on this issue so if I get a resolution I will let you know. I will be pissed if i play nearly to the end and my game corrups somehow .

Community Moderator

The message is annoying an will hopefully disappear at some point, as long as you don't delete the updates then nothing will happen to your save data, it's basically saying that as you have saved on an updated version of the game if you then remove those updates and play the game bad things will happen.

It's really nothing to worry about, just don't delete the updates.

All right you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my BOOMSTICK!
Novice

im having the same issue, and im on pc

Novice

Re: *** Save Data Not Compatible?

Also got this message ... I closed the the game and loaded it up again and it didn't show up again ... but still kinda worrying that appeared in the first place .. 

I'm on PS4

Novice

Compatibility error

I added the dlc after I started playing because my code came in late. The game says the latest update isn't compatible with my save. Do I actually have to restart?
Novice

Re: Compatibility error

I also do not know how to see what dlc is added or anything like that. How do I find that? I am on the PS4
Novice

same same same

Novice

They told me to clear my cache on my xbox and so far it hasn't popped back up. All i had to do was unplug power cord for 2-3 minutes then reboot it. 

Novice

So just dont delete update right and you will be fine?

Novice

I got the same message after my first few hours of play in my PC, but when I reloaded everything seems to be normal. I got that message only once.

Novice

Does this mean if we ever uninstall the game, we'll lose the save data?
Nemesis

Me too. Profile name is step24
Nemesis

Oh yeah I'm on xbox one s and I have gold edition and preordered.
Novice

Same thing here. On ps4, I received the same message and continu3led with OK. Data was lost! I remained level 19 but all of my skills were cleared. My skills that had been purchased were gone. Just the story ones. My quest and progress were still good. I replaced saved progress with data from the previous night.
Novice

Pythonx135 wrote:
Same thing here. On ps4, I received the same message and continu3led with OK. Data was lost! I remained level 19 but all of my skills were cleared. My skills that had been purchased were gone. Just the story ones. My quest and progress were still good. I replaced saved progress with data from the previous night.

I had something similar on PC. Incompatible message showed up, and one of my followers was unbranded. I closed out the game, and when I started it again he was back. Some googling found a few Steam message boards with people getting the same error message, and one website saying that while the issue is fairly common, there havent been any permanent effects. Except for Pythonx135 tho, that sucks man. 

Novice

So far nothing bad has happened on my end, I've actually been getting this message since launch day. Never was too sure what it was, bu after reaing the forums I'm not really that worried about it.

Topics: 3
Kudos: 59

[ Edited ]

Nothing to worry about guys just play normally it basically tells you game just got updated AND if you delete the update you will delete your save too

Novice

Yea, I reckon just ignore it for now. Sees harmless