Novice

Re: Character Build Lab

Shot Through the Heart of Cold:

The name of this build comes from the use of the Bow/Elf-shot, Health, and Frost abilities.

While playing Shadow of War I would have trouble keeping my resources in good supply. This build’s purpose is to recycle Might, Health, and Elf-shot with each other. When not recycling resources, the primary attack strategy is to use Frost based attacks. This build is centered around grunts and not Captains. Not to say that you have to fight grunts first and then take the Captain on, one-on-one. But this build works because grunts have no immunities to frost, especially the Elven Light with Winter’s Breath skill. Even if the Captain is not affected by frost attacks, the play style will not change much to accommodate the immunity.

Here are some generic situations to illustrate how this build plays:

Situation #1: Fully Stocked (Full Health, Might, Elf-shot), but no Wrath. Going to battle a group (could also include a Captain to battle in the group, or just a group of grunts).

Strategy #1: The standard tactic

• First, run into the middle of the group and use Elven Light. The Winter’s Breath skill should freeze all, including defenders and the Ologs.
  • Second, attack the grunts and get in as many Ice Storm Finishers as you can. Be aware! You should be ready to perform a counter at any time because the Finishers can take a few strikes to get to and Ice Storm Finishers can be interrupted.
    • Because of the Bright Lord’s Sword, you will build up Wrath at an increased rate. Once Wrath is full, you can use it to build Might or finish off difficult opponents whenever you like, but I recommend holding off until you really need it.
      • As a side note, I preferred not to have any set bonuses for the Bright Lord set. I found that it was not beneficial enough to have Wrath available more often but at the cost of having Wrath last only half as long. It does not build enough Might in that shorter time frame.

Situation #2: Low Health

Strategy #2: Whenever you are low on Health you have multiple ways to recover it.

• First, because of the Life gem in the sword, you can gain Health on every hit with your sword
  • Second, because this build focuses on using Ice Storm finishers to gain Wrath, you will constantly be doing something that gains health

Situation #3: Low Health, no Might, full Elf-shot

Strategy #3: In the event you risk dying because of low health, instead of having to run across the battlefield to drain an orc or having to use Shadow Dominate to regain some Health, which may or may not be sufficient, you can just shoot some arrows and kill orcs like you normally would!

• Because of the Health Recovery effect(s) of the Lifemender bow, you can heal yourself per hit! Not just per kill. Plus, the Life gem boosts the total amount of Health gained. Within a few shots you will be near full health and gained back a little might in the process.

Situation #4: Low Health, no Might, no Elf-shot, no Wrath

Strategy #4: In this situation you are given only one option if you don’t want to have to run away to gather Elf-shot, or try to drain an orc…

• Use Quick Throw ability of the Dagger of Vengeance
    • If Quick Throw is used with the Brace of Daggers – Rain of Blades skill, then the more enemies that are hit with the attack, the more might you will gain. If done correctly, both Might meters will be filled.
    • After Might is filled, use Consume with the Chain of Souls skill. If you are able to Consume an orc and successfully chain to 2 other orcs, then you should have 12 Elf-shot and most of your Health back. If you still need more health, then you can use the Elf-shot that was gained from Consuming to shoot down more orcs and gain health and might, or you can use the second half of your Might meter to use Elven Light and freeze a group of orcs and get in as many Ice Storm Finishers as you can, gaining both Health and Might with every strike, and Wrath with each Finisher.

Situation #5: Full Health, no Might, no Elf-shot, no Wrath

Strategy #5: Use the Set Bonus (2/2) from the Vengeance set and Consume orcs and use Chain of Souls to gain back Elf-shot. Regain health with Elf-shot. If you do not have enough Might, you can use 40% of your Health to use Elven Light and begin attacking frozen enemies. Each Ice Storm Finisher gives extra Wrath, and each strike recovers Health and Might.

OR      

Use Strategy #4

Complete Build – Equipment

Sword – Bright Lord’s Sword (Add Life Gem)

• Gain 10 Wrath after performing an Ice Storm Finisher

Dagger – Dagger of Vengeance (Add Warrior Gem)

• Secondary Effect: Quick Throw gains Might every 35 seconds
  • Set Bonus 2/2 Equipped: Perform attacks requiring Might by consuming 40% of your max Health instead

Bow – Lifemender (Add Life Gem)

• 42 Health Recovery per Ranged Attack Hit
  • 16 Health Recovery per Ranged Hit

Armor – Armor of War (Add Warrior Gem)

• Recover 10 Health per second while on Fire
  • 250 Health Recovery per Captain Killed

Cloak – Frostkeeper (Add Warrior Gem)

• Increases the duration of Frost inflicted on enemies by 100%
  • 103 Health Recovery per Beast Kill

Ringcraft – Rune of Vengeance (Any Gem)

• Secondary Effect: Draining or Dominating enemies recovers 100% more Health
  • Set Bonus 2/2 Equipped: Perform attacks requiring Might by consuming 40% of your max Health instead

In the Complete Build – Necessary Skills section, I have only listed what I think should be used to help the build succeed. If a type of skill is not listed then any option can be chosen without significantly affecting how this build plays. For example, the Detonate skill is not listed because it doesn’t matter what you choose for this skill, it will not change much about the play style of this build.

Complete Build – Necessary Skills

Combat

• Execution > Grim Resolve
  • Perfect Counter > Rain of Arrows
  • Ground Finisher > Fury
  • Brutal Aggression > Ceaseless Might

Predator

• Brutalize > Unyielding Ferocity
  • Deadly Spectre > Terrifying Presence

Wraith

• Brace of Daggers > Rain of Blades
  • Elven Light > Winter’s Breath
  • Ice Storm > Shower of Ice
  • Consume > Chain of Souls

Story

• Drain > Quiver of Souls

Novice

That's Pretty Good Actually xD

Oriefu wrote:

Shot Through the Heart of Cold:

The name of this build comes from the use of the Bow/Elf-shot, Health, and Frost abilities.

While playing Shadow of War I would have trouble keeping my resources in good supply. This build’s purpose is to recycle Might, Health, and Elf-shot with each other. When not recycling resources, the primary attack strategy is to use Frost based attacks. This build is centered around grunts and not Captains. Not to say that you have to fight grunts first and then take the Captain on, one-on-one. But this build works because grunts have no immunities to frost, especially the Elven Light with Winter’s Breath skill. Even if the Captain is not affected by frost attacks, the play style will not change much to accommodate the immunity.

Here are some generic situations to illustrate how this build plays:

Situation #1: Fully Stocked (Full Health, Might, Elf-shot), but no Wrath. Going to battle a group (could also include a Captain to battle in the group, or just a group of grunts).

Strategy #1: The standard tactic

• First, run into the middle of the group and use Elven Light. The Winter’s Breath skill should freeze all, including defenders and the Ologs.
  • Second, attack the grunts and get in as many Ice Storm Finishers as you can. Be aware! You should be ready to perform a counter at any time because the Finishers can take a few strikes to get to and Ice Storm Finishers can be interrupted.
    • Because of the Bright Lord’s Sword, you will build up Wrath at an increased rate. Once Wrath is full, you can use it to build Might or finish off difficult opponents whenever you like, but I recommend holding off until you really need it.
      • As a side note, I preferred not to have any set bonuses for the Bright Lord set. I found that it was not beneficial enough to have Wrath available more often but at the cost of having Wrath last only half as long. It does not build enough Might in that shorter time frame.

Situation #2: Low Health

Strategy #2: Whenever you are low on Health you have multiple ways to recover it.

• First, because of the Life gem in the sword, you can gain Health on every hit with your sword
  • Second, because this build focuses on using Ice Storm finishers to gain Wrath, you will constantly be doing something that gains health

Situation #3: Low Health, no Might, full Elf-shot

Strategy #3: In the event you risk dying because of low health, instead of having to run across the battlefield to drain an orc or having to use Shadow Dominate to regain some Health, which may or may not be sufficient, you can just shoot some arrows and kill orcs like you normally would!

• Because of the Health Recovery effect(s) of the Lifemender bow, you can heal yourself per hit! Not just per kill. Plus, the Life gem boosts the total amount of Health gained. Within a few shots you will be near full health and gained back a little might in the process.

Situation #4: Low Health, no Might, no Elf-shot, no Wrath

Strategy #4: In this situation you are given only one option if you don’t want to have to run away to gather Elf-shot, or try to drain an orc…

• Use Quick Throw ability of the Dagger of Vengeance
    • If Quick Throw is used with the Brace of Daggers – Rain of Blades skill, then the more enemies that are hit with the attack, the more might you will gain. If done correctly, both Might meters will be filled.
    • After Might is filled, use Consume with the Chain of Souls skill. If you are able to Consume an orc and successfully chain to 2 other orcs, then you should have 12 Elf-shot and most of your Health back. If you still need more health, then you can use the Elf-shot that was gained from Consuming to shoot down more orcs and gain health and might, or you can use the second half of your Might meter to use Elven Light and freeze a group of orcs and get in as many Ice Storm Finishers as you can, gaining both Health and Might with every strike, and Wrath with each Finisher.

Situation #5: Full Health, no Might, no Elf-shot, no Wrath

Strategy #5: Use the Set Bonus (2/2) from the Vengeance set and Consume orcs and use Chain of Souls to gain back Elf-shot. Regain health with Elf-shot. If you do not have enough Might, you can use 40% of your Health to use Elven Light and begin attacking frozen enemies. Each Ice Storm Finisher gives extra Wrath, and each strike recovers Health and Might.

OR      

Use Strategy #4

Complete Build – Equipment

Sword – Bright Lord’s Sword (Add Life Gem)

• Gain 10 Wrath after performing an Ice Storm Finisher

Dagger – Dagger of Vengeance (Add Warrior Gem)

• Secondary Effect: Quick Throw gains Might every 35 seconds

Bow – Lifemender (Add Life Gem)

• 42 Health Recovery per Ranged Attack Hit
  • 16 Health Recovery per Ranged Hit

Armor – Armor of War (Add Warrior Gem)

• Recover 10 Health per second while on Fire
  • 250 Health Recovery per Captain Killed

Cloak – Frostkeeper (Add Warrior Gem)

• Increases the duration of Frost inflicted on enemies by 100%
  • 103 Health Recovery per Beast Kill

Ringcraft – Rune of Vengeance (Any Gem)

• Secondary Effect: Draining or Dominating enemies recovers 100% more Health

In the Complete Build – Necessary Skills section, I have only listed what I think should be used to help the build succeed. If a type of skill is not listed then any option can be chosen without significantly affecting how this build plays. For example, the Detonate skill is not listed because it doesn’t matter what you choose for this skill, it will not change much about the play style of this build.

Complete Build – Necessary Skills

Combat

• Execution > Grim Resolve
  • Perfect Counter > Rain of Arrows
  • Ground Finisher > Fury
  • Brutal Aggression > Ceaseless Might

Predator

• Brutalize > Unyielding Ferocity
  • Deadly Spectre > Terrifying Presence

Wraith

• Brace of Daggers > Rain of Blades
  • Elven Light > Winter’s Breath
  • Ice Storm > Shower of Ice
  • Consume > Chain of Souls

Story

• Drain > Quiver of Souls

Novice

I wanted to capitalize on @MonolithJared bringing up the fear build in the recent stream.

1st of all I wanted to use Terror set because they are my favorite tribe but I originally the fearing with the gear would only make 1-2 orcs flee max. I was extremely disappointed because I'm a huge fan of terrorizing enemies.

As for the core skills, everything Jared mentioned: Brutal Aggression(for Brutal Executions), Reckless Hate, Brutal Cold and Shattering Blow

Gear here is different than running a full or mixed terror set:

Mightborne: 8 Might gain on Critical hit(or any armor that provides might gain).

Dagger that gains might(I have Dagger of War that gains me 50 might per Stealth kill which is HUGE). You could also run the Vengeance dagger which gains full might with good positioning and Rain of Blades.

Sword that gains might on Crit or Hit(wish I could find a sword with crit chance and might gain). Right now I use Woundsplitter(11% Critical Hit Chance) which assists the Mightborne armor by proccing crits more often to gain might; Which is good for 1v1s. I sometimes use my Sword of Horrors for cursing, which luckily came with 10% Crit chance, Its just my Woundsplitter is level 68 and does 127 damage so damage is better there.

Rune of Horrors: Drain/Consume Pops heads meks orcs flee. Obvious reason for this, basically i hit this right after a Brutal Execution. Nets you life and spreads terror.

Bright Lords Hammer or Bow(hammer is better for AOE freeze though): The is basically for Shattering Blow. I find i OHKO things if i hit them with the freeze AOE, Ologs being the exception.

Alternatively, Longbow of Horrors: Pops heads on charged Headshots, causes terror. This way can be faster AT TIMES. But the option is there.

Lifelurker(Cloak): Recover all health on stealth kill. So if you follow Jareds awesome advice for spreading fear this cloak is like a gift from Eru Illuvatar himself. Basically: fear --> brutalize, rinse and repeat if you get low on health. [Optional cloaks could be anything that spreads terror, bonuses per kill/hit, damage bonuses or status effect bonuses such as freeze duration.]

Gems: All red. This is PERSONAL though. I tend to counter and dodge alot so getting hit isnt a problem for me. Otherwise you could use Green gem on your dagger like Jared did on stream.

[So i only is 1 terror tribe item consistently, the rune. The terror sword is more situational but works good because youre hitting brutals alot. Also ifyou use 2 terror items your quick ohko grunts and ologs.]

I have to ask though, Monolith please buff fear in this game especially on the terror tribe items so they are a bit more relevant. Maybe give the cloak and armor better effect than healing while curse, instead something like 'Increases enemies fear/fleeing power when using fear skills' and if you wear the armor and cloak the effect stacks or something. Idk just my hopes.

Would also be cool to see Talion in terror armor the orcs wear or even better the Towers armor OMG!!

Highlighted
Novice

Just an update, freeze pin doesnt always work as with other skills that cause fear, i really hope all fear skills get a buff, at the moment its still not super great.
Novice

After watching the live stream that had showed off the fear build I got a few ideas on how to modify the "Shot Through The Heart of Cold" build. 

I do agree that some effects, such as the Bow of Horrors that creates exploding heads, is not the most efficient way to utilize the fear mechanic, at least for my build. 

I am going to try to post a Version 2 of my build after I finish testing a few things. 

Also, I want to see how the Slaughter tribe gear will affect my build type. I am pretty excited for that.

Novice

Whoops...I meant the Outlaw Tribe, not the Slaughter Tribe. I am excited to see how the Outlaw Tribe will affect my build

Grunt

The Bandit Build

Why Bandit?  I figure Marauder plus Outlaw equals Bandit

What you need: FOUR pieces of marauder gear (sword, dagger, armor, rune) and TWO pieces of outlaw gear (dagger, bow, cloak)

Gems: All red or All red and 1 green on armor or cloak

Uses: Especially good for ranked conquest

The idea is to sow chaos with the outlaw set (25% to curse, enflame, freeze, or poison on any attack) and then deal huge amounts of damage with TONS of mirian.  The marauder set was recently buffed so that orcs drop even more mirian than before.  

Here is what I am using: 

A level 68 marauder sword that gains might when striking dazed captains

A level 60 marauder dagger that gains might every 35 seconds

A level 60 outlaw bow that gains 5 might on a critical hit

A level 60 marauder armor piece that gains 3 wrath per kill

A level 62 outlaw cloak that reduces ranged attack dmg 41%

A level 62 marauder rune that buffs followers' attacks 50% (might be 51 or 52%)

Build modifications: I find the extra mirian from four pieces of marauder gear is really strong, but you could use 2 pieces of marauder gear instead.  The rune, however, is mandatory for this to work.  If you do this, you could then use four pieces of outlaw gear to make your followers even stronger, or you could mix in 2 outlaw 2 marauder and 2 vendetta pieces.  

You don't need any special skills.  As far as gems go, I am open to the idea someone might argue white gems are better.  However, 30% straight damage buff seems too good to pass up.  Red or white gems, choice seems up to you.

I was bitten, bitten by the spiders of Mordor...
And I liked it.

So... any more builds out there?? why is this forum so dead..

Novice

Thought I'll put in one of the builds I used - Or at the very least, the most consistent I have in my disposal:

Frost death knight

To summarize this build, it is built around building up your own wrath quickly as you freeze your foes, while also being able to take the full advantage of being a ringwraith- both by using the raise dead ability, and by having all the uruks you just killed get back up to fight for you once your ringwraith's wrath ends. With this build, I am capable of easily out-numbering my as the fight goes on - And whenever I go against an overlord in this build? The entire throne-room is soon enough filled to the brim with my undead minions.

This build uses two sets- The bright lord's set, and the ringwraith's set, which means you don't have to search for specific pieces with the exact bonuses you need, since both of those sets have the same second bonus for each playthrough.

The core items from each are: 

Ringwraith's Ring and Cloak: Out of all the ringwraith's sets, they are the ones that directly boost up your undead's durability and damage. The ring in particular has the "increase raise-dead radius" ability, which allows you to raise much more dead uruks with a single use of raise dead - Provided they were killed before-hand of course. Tip: If you want/need, you can wait until your might bar gets filled up all the way to red before using raise dead - The undead you raise would then have cursed weapons, have fun.

Green Gem for the cloak, and pick either green/red for the ring gem, depending whether you want your dominated orcs to deal more damage, or be more tanky.

Bright Lord's Armor: This armor needs more credit - 3 wrath per hit helps more then it sounds the moment you have at least two sets of the bright lord on (which decreases the amount of wrath you need to use the ability), but even more importantly? the 40% less damage from range would allow you to shrug off some arrows and spears from grunts before you'll have to go and heal, and it also works against archer and hunter captains.

Green gem for the armor

Bright Lord's Bow/Bright Lord's Hammer: A way to quickly freeze a group of enemies, which item to pick comes down to personal preference - Do you want more arrows, or extra AoE damage with the hammer?

Tip: If an enemy is arrow-proof, but not immune to frost, you can charge a shot and shoot it near him in order to freeze him. 

Red gem for the bow/hammer - You don't have a lot of arrows, and this build doesn't have a quick and easy way to regain them, so use them well.

Bright Lord's Sword: One of your best tools to actively increase your wrath during combat -You don't need to kill the one you use your flurry on, so long as you finish it. 40 health on execution allows you to keep on the fight a bit more as well.

Ringwraith's Dagger/Bright Lord's Dagger: Both daggers can be used, but I personally prefer the ringwraith's dagger - The ability to raise the dead just by stealth-killing them, as well as gaining 6 wrath per stealth kill (which even stacks up if you chain your stealth-kill to other uruks as well) just feel superior to me in terms of what the bright lord's dagger can do. What also makes me stay away from the bright lord's dagger, is that trying to stealth-kill someone after you freeze him can be counter-intuitive, and even problematic to pull off as a gameplay mechanic, at least for me.

That said, the bright lord's dagger has a few quirks to him that could be worth into consideration: One, the quick throw frost bonus is both an easy, and quick way to inflict frost without having to use either might or an arrow, which at times you can feel starved for depending on the situation. Second, with it you can also get the 4/4 bonus ability set of the bright lord, which restores all your elf-shot if you kill someone during ringwraith's wrath.

Morever, if you believe you can pull off stealth-kill on frozen enemies with it, then the usage of the bright lord's dagger to increase your wrath can rise up and even compare to the ringwraith's dagger.

As for skills upgrades - I personally believe that many of them are personal choices, but there are quite a few of them that are needed for this build, burt first, a warning: Stay away from any upgrades that causes head to explode. I have tested this, and you can't raise any uruk who has lost his head (sounds obvious in hindsight, not so much when you fight for your life). Also, I'll advise to ignore any upgrades that inflict terror -The more uruks you fight, the more might you can get by hitting them, and the more corpses that stay down on the floor, prime for you to be their puppeteer

The must skills are (I don't recall the exact names):

Execution - Gain might on hit. This is mainly in order to work with the bright lord's armor, otherwise while your wrath gets filled up, your might will be decreased. 

Perfect Counter - Fatal counter: More dead uruks, more soon to be your undead minions.

Ground Finisher- The first upgrade, the "fist pummel". The reason why I prefer this, is because that it helps you raise up your might meter, and also - Any captain you use an ice-storm finisher WILL drop to the ground for you to use this upgrade on him. With it, you can keep raising up your might back up to use whichever might ability you need at the time, or even stun-lock  in a loop of freezing->ground pummel->freezing again. Keep in mind that in order to keep this loop going, you need to wait until after the captain got back up to standing positon before you attempt to freeze him, otherwise he'll just shrug it off (Also known as "invincibility frames")

Brutal execution - Ceaseless might. You don't have a way to quickly regain might, so being able to spare some for what

Might shot - Either fire or poison, you already got freeze with your bow/hammer. Personal choice - Poison, since it won't break them out of being frozen, but it can be changed depending on who you are fighting.

Wraith Chain - Shadow blade. The ability to kill one more uruk during the stealth-kill chain, means extra wrath points, and a 50% chance for one more undead uruk to fight for you if you are using the ringwraith's dagger.

Quick throw - Rain of blades. It is best used if you use the bright lord's dagger, which means you can potentially freeze more then one uruk. Otherwise, up to personal preference.

Elven light - Freeze. This is your main way to freeze multiple foes at once during a fight without resorting to use an arrow.

Ice Storm - Frostbite. Getting hit restarts your hit-streak, which decreases the effectiveness of "Shower Of Ice". Thus, having extra damage in the form of a crit is better, and you are bound to use ice-storm a lot anyway.

Raise dead - Dead Troll. Chances are you won't find a good time to use undying loyalty during actual gameplay, unless you purposefully plan for your ally captains to die. As for undying beasts... Graugs and drakes don't leave a corpse, and most of the time you think you'll want to use it, is against beastmasters who bring their own beasts, but... As it turns out, their unique trait of not being attacked by beasts also works for undead ones... Thus,  Death troll wins by default.

Vault - Hammer of Eregion. Hands down, the best possible upgrade here, and one that I personally missed having back the most since my days in shadow of mordor. An easy, quick way to freeze someone without having to use might OR an arrow? Give me! Keep in might, if you use it too much against a captain, he WILL adapt eventually. Some captains also come with vault-breaker, which is always a pain no matter which build you do.

Ringwraith- Poisoned weapons. Fire weapons can break them out of being frozen (Or, well... Thaw them out, to be exact), and you can already get your raised dead to have cursed weapons if you use raise dead when your might is fully filled when you use it.

Personal choices: Drain - Dominate, and Consume - Chain drain. The way I play this build, is by over-running my enemies with my own troops of undead. So, if I need to get a quick heal with consume, might as well take advantage of the situation and get as many orcs as I can to fight for me. And if they die? A quick "raise dead" and they get back up, raising their weapons for more.

Novice

Woops... Turns out I turned the font color black for most of my build... Thing is, I don't know how to edit the post -First time in this forum, and I can't find where is the edit button... To quote a certain uruk: "I'm an idiot!"