Grunt

Review of Online Pit Fighting

My experience: Put in a solid 12 plus hours of pit fighting the last couple days.  Four of my orcs worked their way up to legendary status.  Lots more never made it that far.   I've opened dozens of chests at this point.  

What I like: In the past, I simply burned the orcs in my garrison - let them die so I could get the gear.  Now I have a much better alternative to simply breaking them down in the garrison.  Any spoils of war I can get is just a bonus, plus I get the gear regardless, plus there is a small chance they will actually make it all the way to legendary and become potentially useful.  Also, the pit fights are fun for me to watch.  Yes, I enjoy watching my orcs fight, especially while sipping my coffee in the morning.  

What could be improved: As others have mentioned, the distribution of rewards is way too heavily skewed towards useless items.  I would much prefer to earn actually useful items at the expense of fewer rewards.  Instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 pieces of ear, you could do 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, but make the training orders equal distribution to those found in war chests.  I simply have no use for the hundreds of 1 level boosts I've acquired.  It's very disappointing to open a tier 5 chest and get 4 +1 level boosters.

The bigger problem, in my opinion, is that very few classes of orcs seem to have a chance.  I'd been saving up my dark assassins in the hopes of getting a legendary training order so I could hunt for a specific darkest dagger.  I put all my dark assassins in the pit.  Even the ones who seemed ostensibly strong - lots of immunities, no significant weaknessess - died easily.  The fight pit seems way too heavily skewed in favor of beserkers.  The beserkers have one move in particular that I feel is too strong - their combo move where they spin around and hit several times - can just wreck anyone.  They also seem to regen health when performing this attack.  The enraged perk also seems really strong, but who gets most of the enraged traits?  Beserkers...  Not surprisingly, then, all 4 of my orcs that actually reached legendary status were beserkers.  Bottom line is that there needs to be more diversity in terms of rewarding different classes of orcs and fighting styles.  

Another point.  I'd like the ability to see the info card on the enemy orc after the fight ends.  It would be nice to learn what beat your orc rather than just have to guess.  I feel like I could learn even more about what set of attributes does well.  

Finally, the AI can be a bit frustrating too.  Sometimes, I want to scream at my orc and tell him to attack a downed opponent when he's just standing around flailing his arms.  This isn't as big an issue to me, though, since the poor fighting technique seems to cut both ways.

In summary, I feel that pit fighting is pretty characteristic of Shadow of War as a whole - it's really fun, but there's also still room for improvement.  A few changes could go a long way.  I'm not asking you to tip the scale of balance so that everyone and their mother can churn out legendary orcs.  No, I just think the rewards should be restructured so there's fewer but they're actually useful, and that all orcs should have a viable chance at winning.  Thanks for reading.  

I was bitten, bitten by the spiders of Mordor...
And I liked it.
Warchief

Re: Review of Online Pit Fighting

Also if our orc makes it to legendary or epic , since your reward chests suck allow us to choose there traits
Warchief

A problem that I have is how the gangs are also pretty useless. Sure they can take out another gang and such but unless it's a olog they can't knock down or make a captain  flinch with their attacks.It annoys me since an enemy captain can be beating down mine while he's attacked by my captain's gangs, with the idoits doing nothing to stop him. Not to mention that the gang's A.I can make their boss less likely to attack. Given the lack of strength of the grunts it can easily led to a captain with a gang being easily beaten to dealth with by a captain without one.

Since the grunts can stun us, they should be made to stun captains if they get a hit in while in the pit. Also making it so the A.I doesn't hold back for the captains and grunts would be nice as well.

I completely agree with everything you said i played about 12 hours of fight pit too i got 6 orcs climb to legendary 4 berzerkers 2 slayers. I like the rewards i got two legendary orders and a couple of epics. Happy to know im not the only one sitting with my coffe screaming at my fighters lol.

I would like too if tribe bonus would work for every tribe un fight pits
Nemesis

Fully agree with Steward and others on this - I have pretty much identical experiences re Berzerkers and how well they do in the Pits against other Orcs.   It's at the point now I don't bother sending anyone through BUT Berzerkers, as their chances of success are crazy high.  Since I've been tracking it I've only had 1 Berz fail, and he died at lvl 4 against another Berzerker.   I've had some very powerful non-Berzerker Orcs sent through with triggerable Enragements and good Immunities that have been nerfed the first lvl so often I no longer risk anyhone but Berzerkers.    Couple one with a few triggerable Enragements + some immunities and your near guaranteed to do well.   It's kinda funny and frustrating when the enemy is on the ground and your guy is there puffing out his chest and flailing his arms/shield in boasting when he could easily finish him off (and often dies later, lol).   Those gangs, especially the Hunters and Archers, have lousy aim and end up hitting their own Orc and not the enemy, so they often work against you both in they get in the way and hit your own guy.   These fights have also emphasized to me how bad that 'Exhaustion' trait is - I now screen each Orc for it as that itrait has lead to many of my Orc deaths (killed while dazed).    The worst is when both Orcs, each with only a sliver of health left, are dazed standing in place wobbling around  - that first guy to come out of it this daze and get that first shot in 9/10 is the victor.  

I would like a Preview option before you start any Online pit fights, like you do with the standard in game ones, as the Defender has nothing to lose in these fights, but you sure do.   Especially given the 'rewards' which are 80% lvl up orders -just not worth it.   

Something very weird just happend to me i tried to equip my lv 60 orc a poison weapon and it said this orc already have a poison weapon and he clearly dint have any that was at my first fight so im like ok weird i will check at the fight if he has one. And he dint have one and he won so i do my second fight and he wons again the i try again to put the poison weapon no says he already has one again. I go in my third fight he wins and guess what he gains in epic trait. Yup poison master and poison weapon! So is it pre determined that they win starting at the first fight??
The Bright Lord

the odds are aganst our overlords

if the overlord has archers, they attack him instead of the enemy

ologs are very slow, 

warriors, berserkers, ologs, etc all atack other enemies or caragors instead of atacking enemy overlord

a level 20 can kill a level 60 legendary, because the level 60 just does not attack

Nan iChir Gelair Mordor
Fallen Savior

Well it kind of makes sense that berserkers would rule the gladiator arena since they don’t need to hide or find high ground to plink arrows etc...it’s tough to find a different class to push through for sure..you might get a destroyer or tank with good enrages or thick skin to get through but you would need a lot of luck.

I’ve got one guy that can semi reliably beat berserkers but I got super lucky with a legendary training order..I don’t think he would have made it through the pits.

Online pit fights are broken my followers stand there and taunt till they die, ill pass on that till they fix it

I did another experiment just now i did a shadow war seige and had a berzerker putting my other captains down just cause he had the perk/skill what ever had to heal his allies at the check poi t twice so since he wanted to be such a Bad Ace i put him in online fights he had no weakness only injured by fire and poison however the 2 fight the other over lord managed to terrify my follower when he didnt have the stat to be terrified the online fight pits are random and BS
Topics: 11
Kudos: 44

hello,

happy to have a post like this.

But, certains class are low actually .

hunter/trainer , their beast is too low, i remember in the shadow of mordor when i see a graug or a hord or caragor in my head " **bleep** slowy ,take easy, so how i attack.

Now we taking 2 graug in mordor plain with a coffe very hot in the hand. Smiley Happy

The caragor : the poodle,yorshire little dog without dammage,  for me is really this in the pit ; when a caragor attack is like a little dog who cacth/ bite my trousers and try to do something (with shake his head to left to right).

next in coming Smiley Happy

Olog-hai rule the Mordor
---------------------------------
1100+ hours of total playing time Smiley Very Happy

One of my fighters came back from the dead after loosing in the pits. I send him back and he gets 5 straight! Garl Bloodhound feral tracker!
Novice

Mine won like 11 out of 12 matches ( I had to quit so he wouldn't die on one of them) and would be happy to pit him against your best orcs in a fight to the death. I think we have to be friends though to fight in the pits. My gamertag is MikeD Got Skill

on Xbox. 

Beastmasters and berserkers both have a roar ability that has a small chance to terrify enemy orcs. It's like a 1% chance or something, but it can happen to any orc. So even if your orc doesn't have anything that terrifies them, there are some orcs that are capable of terrifying them.

Novice

One of my Orcs became Legendary but didn’t get a legendary move. Any suggestions?
Follower

I feel like I run into legendaries too often in the online pits these days, kinda BS, when you have an uruk on four win streak and they run into a legendary berserker at the end or such and die.

Nemesis

I always get legendaries in the fight pits getting a common or epic in the online fights is the same as finding a legendary in the main game
Nemesis

In my experience with the Online Fight Pits, in terms of the status of Captain you come across it has been pretty much the same percentage between the three.   For example, over the the last 47 Captains my guys has fought, it's been pretty much equal numbers Legendary (15), Epic (16) and Common (16).     That's pretty much how it breaks down in Online Sieges too.  In Vendetta's it's rare to get a Legendary target (but it does happen), and you do find the odd (and equally as rare) Legendary supplementary Captain when you visit their world.   In non-Online FPits coming across a Legendary Captain is very rare, maybe one in 100 or so.