Apex Vigilante
nDeBennys

@Mercury Lingering Issues and Concerns

[ Edited ]

Batman: Arkham Origins – Issues and Concerns

This post is dedicated to elaborating on some of the few major and minor yet prominent issues concerning our beloved franchised Batman title.

The following issues tarnish every loyal fan’s expectations of the franchise:

There are several rooftops in many of the districts that do not act accordingly with the designed game mechanics of predator environments.  Often in the franchise’s predecessor often had strict boundaries on how the AI interacts with certain stimuli. EX: Players can give away their position based on certain takedowns/gadgets etc.

Specific Examples:

District: South Eastern Park Row

Location: Rooftop w/ Ventilation Ducts near the edge of district.

Issue: There are portions of the vents that can be walked through by enemies.

Solution: Fix the properties of the geometry on these objects to correct this issue.

District: Industrial

Issue: Thugs do not recognize or respond to loud takedowns that they normally would in any other predator encounters.

Solution: Parameters of the encounters here have not bee properly set. Whatever the language that dictates reactions from thugs from certain actions (takedowns, gadgets, etc) have not been programmed correctly.

Listed next are issues that completely ruin what was seamless about the other titles attached to the Batman Franchise:

Issue: Bat Claw

Summary:

From Arkham Asylum to ArkhamCity, Rock Steady revamped how using strikes on Bat Clawed thugs. In Asylum they qualified as variant attacks but offered no difference in animation other than pulling an enemy(s) with the gadget.

ArkhamCity (along with removing the Multi-Claw) gave players a totally new animation when striking a Bat Clawed enemy. Irrespective of upgrading the “Gun Disarm” (for the Bat Claw) or confronting enemies in combat or predator encounters, the animation would always function the same.

In Arkham Origins there is a complete disconnect in how this already polished mechanic was in the last two games (perfectly might I add) and how it currently works in Predator situations. In Combat encounters, players are capable of using a Bat Claw on any enemy and close the distance with the appropriate striking animation that was upgraded in ArkhamCity.  However in Predator Challenges and encounters, players may no longer use this gadget mechanic properly.

I believe it has to do something with the coding done between Predator and Combat encounters (but alas is speculation). I do not know if this has something to do with the Disarm Gun Bat Claw upgrade or not but this is a contemptible issue as there is literally nothing new about this mechanic between this game and Arkham City.  Even thugs that wield guns in Combat encounters react as they should but import the same scenario in a Predator challenge and it no longer functions the same.  Why hasn’t this been addressed?

Issue: Enigma’s HQ Icon

Summary:

Upon completing every objective associated with Enigma (collecting all Extortion Data, Destroying all Network Relays, the main server at his headquarters) and receiving a notification that his case file is “closed” the icon still appears on the map.

Conclusion: Fix this issue by coding the icon to be removed upon completing every objective in accordance with any other completed objective. It is that simple, Dev Team. In every play through (from “New Game” to “NG: Plus” to “I am the Knight”) the icon never disappears and it is literally the only one to do so in the game.  I realize that there was extortion data that wasn’t properly disappearing off of the map at launch but this is a totally different issue although among the same genre of issues.

Issue: Glide Bug

Summary:

This bug happens, what it seems, to be randomly and can be found both in singleplayer and multiplayer modes. This may be a minor bug but should be the focus of the dev team. This happens to be most unacceptable when playing multiplayer when it is imperative to make quick decisions “on the fly” (if you get the pun then you understand the urgency).

I stress that it is a bigger issue in multiplayer because of some of limitations posed on my next issue. Suffice to say, players have a quick fix by disengaging the glide and reengaging and it usually corrects this issue temporarily. Of course, that doesn’t mean this should go unnoticed.

Players can also slowly ascend while gliding when this bug pops up. Not entirely sure but it may have to do with objects below Batman/Robin when gliding? All in all it is somewhat major and minor. This drastically makes players vulnerable to taking tons of damage.

Issue: Cliff/Edge Hanging – Cannot Disengage (or Drop), only grapple or climb.

Summary: 

Coupled with the Gliding Bug, this becomes a larger issue. If a player tries to disengage from the glide to correct the bug temporarily, he is vulnerable to attack. When he/she happens to grab onto a cliff accidentally due to the glide bug or for whatever reason, again it makes him more vulnerable (not based on skill but poorly designed mechanics).

Cliff/Edge Hanging tactics are not used because of the poorly developed mechanics in the multiplayer port. I do not know if this was a design choice or poorly planned logistics. Players are pretty much penalized for using a tactic that is flawed. Players should have the capability to drop from a cliff as a third option than just grappling away or climbing up (which can have very undesirable effects). Solution: If this has nothing to do with Splash Damage (MP dev team) then there should be no reason why this hasn’t been addressed yet.

P.S.

While we’re on the subject of multiplayer issues, remove the Cluster Bat-a-rang for Batman. Its use is non existent. It is only plausible if there is lag at the beginning of the game and Batman spawns first and uses it on ‘AFK’ players.

This to me deems it as cheesy play and not appropriate for game play. It utilizes no skill and relies purely on whether or not players are away from the keyboard or not at the start of the game. As it stands it gives batman one less gadget – it is okay because Robin cannot dive bomb so, in my humble opinion, it evens out.

Issue: Shiva’s “Innocent Man” Mission

Summary:

Upon looking for the innocent man and the door that leads to him I noticed that when using Detective Vision, not only does the door flash (from an active door color state to an inactive door color state) but it disappears to reveal a portion of the inside of the building. Simply put, there should be a better way to locate the door.

This is a very minor bug but when using the Detective Vision to locate the door, it does take some time to realize that you passed the door several times when looking at icon that pops up that shows you that hes screaming from inside a building.

The next few Issues have to do with Arkham Origins by itself and have no referencing to other titles in the franchise:

Issue: Joker and Deathstroke’s Quickfire Actions

Summary:

Chipper can elaborate more on this (among other things), that they (quick fire gadgets) simply aren’t mapped correctly. This wasn’t known to me until it was brought to my attention that on console editions of the game, these characters feature more combat options. It is minor when it comes to joker and a more major issue when it comes to Deathstroke Challenges... But all in all, it’s still an issue.

Issue: Shock Glove Attacks

Summary:

When shock gloves are active, Batman’s Ground ‘n Pound Takedown fails nearly every single time in single player. However in Challenge mode the Ground takedown never fails. Why is this? Also, CapeStuns also have the same issue in combat in SP. This is a major bug for all intents and purposes of combat in the game and requires a fix.

The following issues are questions that require statements from PR/moderator Mercury:

-         Concerning the Knightfall DLC, Why are players that purchase Origins on PC being penalized for not having  a PS3?

-         Why isn’t Deathstroke a free roam character? Were there complications with adding him to the game? Or was this restricted based on Storyline arc of Origins (which is almost acceptable). Are you aware of mods with Deathstroke in free roam?

-         Why aren’t all the upgrades and gadgets available upon starting New Game Plus? (as they were in ArkhamCity)

-         Why is the Injustice Skin not available in Multiplayer? THIS IS UNNACCEPTABLE. I WORKED SO HARD ON ‘I AM THE KNIGHT’ AND OTHER CHALLENGES FOR UTTERLY NOTHING

-         Why was the Demon Batman Skin not available after completing ‘I am the Knight’ story mode?

-         Will there be a patch/update with the release of the DLC?

Please use plain text.
Apex Vigilante
nDeBennys

Re: Lingering Issues and Concerns

PS there are plenty more but this is all my heart can type at this time :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
Apex Vigilante
chipperMDW

@Mercury Yeah, there are plenty of outstanding bugs that need to be worked on. Can we get some sort of update on what's going on? What's planned for the next patch?

Warning for Keyboard Users: Rocksteady's previous game, Arkham City, is still missing certain keyboard controls, and they've refused to address this issue.
Please use plain text.
Apex Vigilante
nDeBennys

I can't believe I missed this:

Killer Croc still flickers and disappears after the second phase of the fight.

Why hasn't this been addressed yet!?
Please use plain text.
Trainee
ohramallas

Multiplayer still suffers from connection issues, it's rare that there's a match where all players are in the game, the rest get "Connection to Steam has been dropped". This has not been addressed, even thought it has been an issue since launch.

Please use plain text.
Apex Vigilante
nDeBennys

On that note (as far as MP goes), whenever you quit the Multiplayer's port, the game always gives me "Executable has shut down unexpectedly. Even though I used the Quit option as I should.

Frankly, MP is an unstable application. This happens both if i quit MP outright or switch to Single player via the MP port.

Literally no rhyme or reason other than faulty programming.
Please use plain text.
Apex Vigilante
nDeBennys

@Mercury - Deserves Bump until we get a response.
Please use plain text.
Mercury

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

The team is currently working hard on the upcoming story DLC and there currently are no plans for releasing another patch to address the issues that have been reported on the forums.

If we do move forward with creating a new patch, it will try to address the progression blocking bugs for players, not the minor glitches that do not prevent one from continuing to play. The issues that are not progression blockers will unfortunately no longer be addressed.

But as was mentioned on another thread on this PC board: The teams will be looking into addressing the issue of Deathstroke’s Quick Fire Neural Pellets and Quick Fire Proximity Bomb not working with PC mouse/keyboard.

The timing of this fix is still not determined, but I will be sure to post any updates in the Latest Updates/ Updates on Support sticky on this board.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused for some of you, and want to thank you for having been patient.

Please use plain text.
Apex Vigilante
chipperMDW

[ Edited ]

That's extremely disappointing news. Thank you for at least letting us know what's going on, though.

If WBM is abandoning the game, can they please release its source code to the community so we can track down the bugs and fix them ourselves? It'll be a lot easier on us if we don't have to start by reverse-engineering the game.

Warning for Keyboard Users: Rocksteady's previous game, Arkham City, is still missing certain keyboard controls, and they've refused to address this issue.
Please use plain text.
Trainee
Sikboy1029

Man I'm glad I skipped this, figured the PC would be neglected.

Please use plain text.